Every other day, news comes up about the launching of a digital nomad visa. This is because the world has turned digital and everything is on the web and smartphones. Your life and work now revolve around the Internet. Technology has shot to heights. We are in a digital world today and we have to tread along. The new country that is now joining the list of countries which has launched their digital nomad visas is none other than Japan. Yes, you heard it right. Japan Digital Nomad Visa is going to be launched next month in March 2024.
Japan Digital Nomad Visa – Complete Details
The county is gearing up to start its digital nomad visa that allows the citizens of 49 countries including EU member states. The visa will allow the holders to stay in Japan for up to 6 months.
The advantage of being a digital nomad is surely attractive and beneficial. Being a digital nomad, you may work remotely across the world benefiting from a more laidback life where you could do your work to your own flexible terms/schedule.
Japan happens to be a perfect place to combine work and travel with its metro cities, attractive culture, and eye-pleasing natural landscapes. Japan is reportedly opening up to foreigners to boost its economy which is threatened by its ageing population. According to the Labor Ministry of Japan, more than 2 million foreign workers are currently working in the country (the highest number ever, according to online reports).
So, it is now time to immerse yourself in a beautiful technologically advanced country (Japan) with its new digital nomad visa.
Importance of Digital Nomadism
One of the valuable and attractive benefits of being a digital nomad is to build a global network. Since you keep traveling and working in various locations, you get the opportunity to make connections with various professionals from around the globe. These connections often open doors for partnerships, collaborations, and even job opportunities.
The digital nomad visa is tailored to freelancers and remote workers who would like to work and live in a foreign land (country) for a certain period. This visa allows them (digital nomads) to engage in work activities like running online businesses and freelancing during their stay.
Eligibility Criteria for Japan Digital Nomad Visa
- According to the latest reports, the nationals of 49 countries and territories are eligible to apply for this new visa. The eligible countries are the ones that have signed a tax treaty with Japan or which are visa-exempt when visiting Japan.
- All European Union countries are included in the list along with Belarus, Armenia, Iceland, Georgia, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkiye, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
- Outside of the European area, the citizens of South Korea, Australia, Singapore, and the United States are also eligible to apply.
- Highly skilled professionals are eligible to apply especially those working in the field of IT (information technology). Japan Digital Nomad Visa grants designated activities including working remotely for an enterprise/company outside of Japan or as a self-employed worker/freelancer for clients abroad. It is also being expected that YouTubers might be able to apply who make revenue from overseas advertisers.
How Much Earning is Required to Apply for a Japan Digital Nomad Visa?
- Eligible applicants must have a minimum annual income of 10 million Japanese Yen (€62,672).
- They need to have private health insurance.
- The duration of the visa will be up to 6 months. If holders of digital nomad visas want to renew, the visas will only be renewed six months after leaving the country meaning consecutive stays will not be possible.
- Spouses and children of approved digital nomads will be allowed to accompany them during their stay. Spouses and kids will be covered by private medical insurance.
- Applicants will not be entitled to residency and they will also not be permitted to rent long-term accommodation.
Let’s wait till the next month to apply for this visa.